Thursday, February 10, 2011

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

Halloween aside, it's been quite a long time since I have seen an adult wearing one of those Mad Hatter top hats in public. You know, the really big ones. I would like to say never, but my memory is not as good as it used to be so I may have seen this before and just can't recall it. So imagine my surprise when I saw not just one person, but two adult humans looking utterly normal in every other respect, wearing nearly identical Mad Hatter hats on my train car this morning. In Connecticut no less! My mind raced. I did not notice them boarding the train, so they could have come in separately or together. They were not sitting with each other, made no apparent coordinated movements, and did not seemingly disembark together. Is this an amazing coincidence? Well, it could be, but I began to think it might actually be the beginning of a movement of some sort. As it turns out, the Hatter was amazingly prophetic in his world view, and perhaps people around this country are becoming Mad Hatters themselves.

Said the Hatter, "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" I do see. Our world has become the Mad Hatters world. When I go to CNN.com and read the main headline that the revolt in Egypt is intensifying, and then see that the second headline is about Lindsay Lohan's plea deal, I can easily say that everything is nonsense. When I go to foxnews.com and read an editorial explaining why statutory rape is not really rape, I understand what it wouldn't be, it would. This was a lot to process before even setting foot into the office and I was off my game for the first couple of hours. Lunchtime brought no relief as the Broadway tourist prop shop around the corner was out of stock in the Mad Hatter hat department. I will have to follow-up on this theme in a future post when I can figure out some closure.

SRO on the 7:05 tonight, AKA a normal commute. I ended up in a rare and coveted single seat so you will hear no complaints from me (until the train stops on the tracks for 2 hours for no reason). There was a guy with big sign at Grand Central subway entrance. It read "Life
is a terminal disease. If you are born then you will definitely die. Please help me with a few coins before I do." I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment