Friday, January 28, 2011

Dinah won't you blow?

Recently I became aware that among an array of extremely racist extant stanzas of the famous old folk song, I've Been Working on the Railroad, one actually went:


Someone's makin' love to Dinah
Someone's making love I know.
Someone's making love to Dinah
'Cause I can't hear the old banjo.

This made me realize that the entire point of the song was much different than what I thought it was as a small child, in many ways. And it suggests a completely different meaning to the phrase "Fi, fie, fiddly-i-o-o-o-o." It seems appropriate for TrainBlogger to share this with you now because the couple in the seat ahead of me is engaged in a serious PDA, complete with a squishy soundtrack, and oblivious to the 125 other passengers in the car. Well, it is Friday night, and who doesn't want to make the most out of their weekend? Hopefully they will disembark at East Norwalk.

An absolute madhouse in the great hall of GCT tonight. New Haven Line trains were being tracked one-at-a-time, several minutes after their scheduled departure time. Exhausted and anxious Connecticut commuters all had their escape route plotted out once a track was announced. Of course, TrainBlogger received a whispered hint from the Station Master and waited cooly on Track 109. And also of course, the train car door slid in right where I was standing. Fi, fie, fiddly-i-o-o-o-o!

No comments:

Post a Comment